Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Things I Have Done Instead of Blogging #2

Not only have I not been blogging, but I was almost completely torn away from online life last week, when I sent my iphone in to have the screen fixed after I dropped it onto our hardwood floor and cracked it.  What I realized while my phone was gone, was that the internet fills a spot in keeping my hands busy.  I check my email, I check twitter, I check facebook, I play words with friends, I read what other people are writing.  And I do these things, often, so that I have something to do with my hands.

So this week, after seeing a book in Violet's room on knitting for kids, I decided that knitting was the perfect way to "do" something.  I have actually learned to knit before.  But it was in 10th grade, when I was forced to take a class on sewing and "creative stitchery."  I did not like it. But then again, I tend to not like things that I am forced to do.  And now, I am over 20 years removed from being forced to learn to knit.  And knitting suddenly had some sort of allure for me.  And I think that part of it, is that I don't like there to be things that I "can't" do.  I figure that most things that I "can't" do are really only because I haven't really tried (except for maybe ice skating.  I have tried ice skating and I am pretty sure I can stop trying now).

It turns out that knitting, at least the basic stitches, is really pretty easy.  I used what ever yarn and knitting needles Violet had and got busy relearning to knit.  And it is a perfect thing to occupy my hands while watching football, and basketball.  And the cats love it too.  And they helped keep my legs warm, just like my laptop usually does when I am watching TV, or the always fun "watching Jack Jack play the Wii."



And even though my family kind of made fun of me, they are all totally jealous of Jack Jack's new pussycat bath puppet.  And Dash has requested I make him Harry Potter puppet.  I think I may have to learn a few new stitches before that happens.  But, I also think I may have found a new addiction.  And I have even purchased my own knitting needles and some super soft yarn for my next project.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

keli [at] kidnapped by suburbia said...

oh, that is so cute!!

Lyndsay said...

You'll have your own etsy store in no time!

Leona Raisin said...

As a sometimes writer myself, Words With Friends seems a more appropriate time-waster than, say, television. Bottom line, my manuscript has fewer pages being added. I will always justify my TV time as long as I can tie it back to wordplay. Blame my love of Scrabble, WWF and TV trivia for spawning my blog and the word game that resides therein. Still, all these distractions keep me away from my writing.
Leona

Chocolate Girl said...

i tried to learn to knit once. my aunt quit teaching me. turns out i have no patience.... sigh...

Kyla said...

Cute!!

Jen said...

Are you on Ravelry yet? That's where all the cool kids are going these days.

Would he settle for a Hogwarts scarf? That wouldn't require any new stitches: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hogwarts-scarf

radioactive girl said...

YES! Now we can totally hang out in real life. I mean we could have before you liked to knit but now it would be even more awesome.

If you are on ravelry, search for me. I think I'm radioactivegirl but it could be radioactivetori, I can't remember (my computer saves my info and keeps me logged in).

Sarah said...

cute!

Moncler said...

You won't be able to deny Beats By Dre Headphones the comfort and style that this brand can bring you. Hogan Shoes Sale If you can't find it in the stores to give it a try, take a look at online retailers. Moncler Outlet There's a better chance of seeing everything that's available and maybe even getting a discount on some of the items from previous seasons. Nike Air Max 90 It won't take long for you to see just how fun, functional, and stylish the Franklin and Marshall clothes really are.

maryjohin said...


Classic fashion chanel bags, latest burberry bags, warm winter ugg boots outlet.

Houston Texans said...

Best Louis Vuitton UK , authentic louis vuitton outlet at http://www.authenticlouisvuittonoutletmart.com/ , cheapest burberry outlet.