Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Things I Have Done Instead of Blogging #7

I have been on Spring Break!  And Not-Spring Break!

Spring Break is a bit of a joke around here, since for 7 of the 8 years I have been working, I have had a different Spring Break than the Mr. and the kids do.  This means that he is home with the three kids and then I have spring break, basically by myself, except for Jack Jack's preschool years when he and I would get to hang out.

The other funny part about spring break, is that is is hardly ever actually warm around here.  Sometimes there is even snow for spring break, which makes no one happy at this point in the year.  But, going along with our unusually warm winter, we have had an usually warm and early spring.  We had almost three weeks in a row of 80 degree temperatures in March, which is basically unheard of around these parts.  Along with these temperatures, came talk of this being the year that the world ends and global warming and such. AND I actually had to buy the boys new shorts and t-shirts, way earlier than history and the farmer's almanac (which I always refer to before purchasing seasonal outfits) would dictate.  Now I just have to hope that they don't grow out of them before summer is over.

It had been so warm in March, the boys and I even had a beach day already this year.  It was amazing.  But, the water was still iceberg cold..  I retrieved a ball, once, out of the water after an errant throw, and then almost passed out from hypothermia. The second time the ball bounced in the lake, I said there was no way I was going in to retrieve it.  The boys, after much toe testing of the the water, and negotiations over who should sacrifice their skinny body for a tennis ball, decided that they would rather leave their ball to the lake gods than go in there to get it themselves.  I concurred with this decision.


As is not surprising, however, spring break weather as been more like...spring.  And around here that means, cold.  So we haven't been back to the beach and our shorts are back in our drawers...most of the time.  But, in a book I have been reading, the main character, who also happens to live in Indiana, stated "we Hoosiers are excessively optimistic about summer."  Do you know who else is excessively optimistic about summer? 12 year old boys.  Just try talking them out of wearing shorts to school when the high is only supposed to be fifty-seven.  Or try convincing them to take a sweatshirt to baseball practice when the temperature is dropping from seventy down to forty-seven.  Go ahead....

Last week, during my not-spring break, the Mr. and Jack Jack built me this raised planting bed.


I am super excited about this and have been planning out which vegetables I am going to plant.  But, even though all the trees and flowers have bloomed early this year, it is actually too early to plant much. So, instead, I have been forced to just think about planting things and  have just been filling my planting area with soil and playing around with my shiny new hoe....


Now, I want you to think for a moment, of all the fun jokes that come right after you tell your husband that while he is at the hardware store, you would like him to buy you a new hoe.  Oh the FUN!  The HILARITY!.  It is almost as much fun as the time I told him I was going to my dad's house to get "the stripper"..... (aka the wire stripper, which is not nearly as much fun, but, almost).

Now, back to my spring break.  I am currently on day three of my spring break, and the first two days were spent running errands and cleaning the house.  Boring stuff.  But, at 11am, yesterday morning, when I realized that it was at least 70 degrees and sunny outside, I said to myself  "what the heck am I doing cleaning?"  And I decided that mopping and bathroom cleaning were things that were best done when it was cold outside.  And the weather report said that it might be the one and only warm day this week.  So  I dropped my mop, grabbed my book, and basically ran out to my deck where I enjoyed the sunshine and the peace.


Today it is sunny again, but chilly, so to satisfy my need for fresh air (I am kind of like a dog that way), I have the window open and am enjoying some time with my coffee and my book and actually relaxing, at least for a couple hours, until my hoe and I get back to work, anyway.  Ho, Ho, Ho....

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Personally, I would prefer a stripper to a hoe. But that's just me.
What are you going to grow in that lovely raised planter thing?

Sarah said...

I am so jealous of your all-alone spring break! Enjoy it!

kspinning said...

Our spring break has come and gone and I too envy your alone time. Can't wait to see your garden up and growing! Happy ho-ing. :-)

Chocolate Girl said...

yeah, i'm still just laughing about your shiny new hoe....

requirebuyer said...

Abercrombie Fitch Online are very special clothes.Franklin and Marshall T-shirts You will certainly get to find Ed hardy clothes that will fit you perfectly. The Abercrombie Fitch Sale for everyone, Vibram Fivefingersthey just look amazing and they also come at a discount price.Cheap Ed Hardy Shoes, each of them has the Ed Hardy signature on the front of the shirt and in some T-shirts, you will get to find it on the back too. There are designs that are popular and a lot of women are buying these Christian Louboutin Boots featuring it. These designs are called the "Love Kills Slowly", "Beautiful ghost" and "Tiger". If you wear Ed hardy clothing, you will surely get to be noticed around and looks amazing.Louis Vuitton Sale

Houston Texans said...

Classic fashion chanel bags, latest burberry bags, warm winter ugg boots outlet.